Sunday, March 13, 2011

Why wait? ACT now!

Yesterday, I wrote the second English article for publishing. Although it was not as hard as writing a journal paper, it was still as tough, expressing my feelings with words. I felt that what I wrote would made a greater impact than if I were to write in an high impact journal.

On the evening of 11th March, Japan had one of the worst natural disaster in the history. It made me wonder again. Are we doing enough? Am I doing what I should be doing? Most importantly, did I made an impact?

Yesterday evening, I helped a blind to the LRT station. He may be able to navigate around even without help, but i knew that my little assistance would be able to help him get to his destination quickly.

At the platform, he told me that he's going towards the other direction. I was sad that I could not accompany him throughout the journey. There were people at the platform, but they’re just staring at him. When his LRT arrived, no one helped him at all. I went back to guide him into the carriage and left quickly before the doors were closed.

That incident left thinking again and again. What does publishing a journal paper gives you? Fame? Money? And does all these have an impact on the people who needs your help urgently? A quick action may do much more. Some things can wait. Some others just can’t.

So ACT today. Don’t just be glad that you’re safe from all these shortcomings. Take an action to help others in need. I said this once and I’ll say it again:

Someday, the person who really needs the help is YOU.

 

2 Responses to “Why wait? ACT now!”

ng sun boon said...

so long never see your dad, how is he?

Mike Cheong said...

oh? you know my dad? He's doing just fine.

I didn't get your name. You are?