Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Diagnostic Medicine

Wow... It's a lot of homework and things to do... So finally found some time to blog a bit. Tests these few days... so kinda busy studying for it. Anyhow, enjoyment is enjoyment right? I've been watching lots of "House M.D." these days. Kinda crazy over it.... Although the story line is not as interesting as "Grey's Anatomy", House MD has what I'm interested in - DIAGNOSTIC. Diagnosing a patient is interesting, especially when you need to know all the signs and symptoms. Now that I'm studying Clinical Biochemistry, I'm slightly exposed to diagnostic procedures, which is very cool..... But not until when you kill a patient... which I DID "killed" one of my patients during my clinical biochemistry test 1.

This patient of mine is only 2 years old, and he's suffering from hepatomeagaly and could not thrive. Also, after a liver biopsy, it was found that this patient has glycogen with short outer branches. I need to help diagnose this child and unfortunately, I killed this patient. He has got Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) - Type III - Cori's Disease. I got that wrong and diagnosed him to have GSD Type IV - Anderson's Disease. Therefore, giving the wrong treatment would kill him.

I guess I'll have to do more practise to remember all, or else I could kill another patient during my finals.... :P

No response to “Diagnostic Medicine”