Monday, November 10, 2008

Coach Carter

I love basketball. I have a great interest in the game, and I have always wanted to play it, be good at it, mastering it. Weird isn't it? I don't play this game, yet I love it so much.

The question is... Why didn't I play during my high school? How about primary school years? The truth is:
1) There is no proper basketball court off me to train in my primary school and high school.
2) No proper support to play this fantastic game with others because the lack of confidence.
3) I hate those players in court who curse and swear like nobody's business.
4) The lack of respect and courtesy among some players, with no sportsmanship.


Yesterday, I watched a movie called "Coach Carter". This is a great movie as it shows that excelling in your sport is not worth anything if you are not successful academically.



Coach Carter may have taught the players well about playing great basketball, but he also showed them that good academic can change their lives. This is very true especially when they are from the poor and they need scholarships to further their studies. Indeed, very true!

So, what happened to my high school friends who used to play great basketball? The rich ones of course had their parents' support to further their studies. The poor... some of them started working, paycheck to paycheck. Some have to suffer from working under the scorching sun. Anyone in jail? I don’t know. Maybe?

So please, my fellow friends who play lots of sports and neglect your academics, watch "Coach Carter". Hope that you will realise the importance of academics besides excelling sports. One more thing: GROW UP!! Stop cursing, stop being a jerk when you’re playing with weaker opponents, and BE HUMBLE!!!

As for me, I definitely need to stop finding excuses to avoid playing the sport I “love”. Heh…

No response to “Coach Carter”