Sunday, June 14, 2009

1st Leadership Workshop by McKinsey and Co.

After the whole day of learning session, I personally find that this leadership workshop is very new to me… in a good way, as I learned a lot during the workshop. It’s extremely different from what I’ve learned from other leadership camps…

Stop here with the chatter, and let me take you through the journey of learning…

First off, I had to leave home by 6 am in the morning, met some new friends at 7.30 am, had breakfast at 8.30 am.

Started off with some sharing session by Seelan, and then… the big star continues the session – the managing director and CEO of Malaysia Airlines : Dato Seri Idris Jala.

DSC_9626_008

A little boy from Bario, made his way up to the management level, changing people’s perspective and how we too can make it…

“Dream of BIG, SCARY dreams!” – Dato Seri Idris Jala

Then, very unexpected, he said that he wanted to play the guitar for us, UNPLUGGED!

DSC_9619_002

DSC_9617_000

Here’s a video recording on his performance…

After that, we went through the program, learning step by step, on how to problem solve and work your way through the personal leadership objectives (PLO).

We also had fun learning how to influence others, influence people to do something, which I find it very useful. With speed dating, we had great fun working on the influencing techniques…

Later, before we leave UEM Leadership Centre for dinner, we had a bit of photo session…

Joanne here helping team B to shoot their group photo.

DSC_9627_009

Members of Team A…

DSC_9628_010 

My team… Team C, with Michelle as our guide through the programme.

*From right, Jing Wen, Joanne, Michelle, Elaine and I.

DSC_9630_012

Michelle Yong… my buddy… was busy distributing her name card… haha!

DSC_9632_014

New friendships are made…

DSC_9633_015

Ken Vin here is going to pursue his studies to become a Medical doctor.

DSC_9635_017

Some candid moments… by the way, this is Team E

 DSC_9637_019

The three of us… UTARians…

DSC_9638_020

Ka Wei, Rasminah and Michelle Tang.

DSC_9641_023

The messed up group photo… haha

DSC_9642_024

And the good one… hehe

DSC_9643_025

I finally remembered what happened to the remote… I forgot the switch the camera back to non-live-view mode… it turns out, the camera took a longer time to focus on us… that’s why there is a delay! Sorry about that guys…

This one looked more like we’re doing a modeling for McKinsey… haha

DSC_9645_027

Yep… the most complete group photo for my team. With Michael in the photo.

DSC_9646_028

After the crazy photo shoots, we head over to Le Meridien for our dinner…

DSC_9651_032 

As the orchid looked beautiful, I took a shot of macro, and Joanne came into the picture… wahahahaha…

DSC_9653_034

I hope you like the photo….

Ka Wei… busy conducting business while others were taking some photos… haha

DSC_9655_035

Michael having some chit-chat with Ken Vin.

DSC_9656_036

A few more photos before we enter the dining room…

DSC_9658_037 

DSC_9659_038

The dinner was good, I get to know my mentor better… and I had a bit of light chat.

Finally, I left the hotel around 9.35 pm.

So, there goes… my journey… 6 am to 10.45 pm… Great, meaningful day!

Owh ya, one more thing… I’d like to give some ‘Constructive positive comments’ to McKinsey and Co… Can you guys be more eco-friendly? like, reduce the amount of wastage, especially on papers? We used a lot of paper yesterday and I don’t feel right for us to waste paper just for the sake of learning to become leaders…

Hopefully, you guys can reduce the amount of post-it notes and mahjong papers used, reuse some of the single sided papers, and recycle the remaining paper wastes. Recycle those water bottles as well!

Till then… see everyone soon, this coming July!

2 Responses to “1st Leadership Workshop by McKinsey and Co.”

Skinny R said...

Nice photo`

it's amazing to see CEO playing guitar.

Mike Cheong said...

yea... true... haha