Tuesday, September 27, 2011

English in Taiwan

The most awkward thing I ever experienced in Taiwan is their English.

While I was here, I did not even dare to say that my English is good, when my classmates claimed that theirs is American accent or New Zealand English. My roommate even tried to compete with me on the pronunciation! Thank goodness for Dictionary.com for the pronunciation.

And you know what? The American English lecturer in our university can’t seemed to get what they’re talking about. He too found it hard to understand the messages these students were trying to convey!

Someone even insisted that my English sounded weird and awkward when I have in fact, worked with an American for nearly six months, and he did not find my English awkward or incomprehensible at all! (Or maybe he did, behind my back… haha).

Anyways, I hope that I can keep myself from going gaga when I attend more conferences in near future. Remember that medical conference I attended a few weeks back? Yeah, that conference was the most difficult to understand among all the other conferences I have ever attended. The conference seemed to go faster when the scientists started to use Mandarin instead of English. hmm…

6 Responses to “English in Taiwan”

blAckwIntEr said...

Find it really amusing...seriously?? but you speak very good english what??

Mike Cheong said...

it's because they insist that theirs is better than mine. When they're in Malaysia, they'd come to realise that lots of Malaysians speak very fluent English...

Anyway, how are you?! Done with your project already?

Anonymous said...

Not all Malaysian can speak fluent English, for example.... U know who I mean to.. But majority is yes.. One thing I'm pretty sure is Ric's eng is damn good.. So be yourselves and please don't learn their "English"... Hahahaha....

Susie Phang said...

You speak and write well. If they compare, it only shows their immaturity. Leave them alone. Be yourself and love yourself!

gregorule said...

oh dear... you better not learn their English... find time to skype with me to maintain our fluent English kay! XD

Mike Cheong said...

Yes Greg, would love to do so with you. =D