Monday, April 27, 2009

50mm Portraits

50mm lenses are normally used for portraits shooting. So yesterday, before starting my MB discussion, we had some portraits photo session.

The lighting was good, so was the lens. Due to DX format, the actual magnification is actually 75mm. Still, the results are astonishingly good.

*Sorry, no enlargements. Scared that people will use these photos for ‘illegal’ purposes.

Again, the boy who loves cam-whore… Thank god my lens didn’t break…

DSC_6177_000

A photograph of myself, taken by Greg. Thanks… But his composition can improve further… maybe it’s because of the lens… no AF.

DSC_6215_015

*Ahem* I rarely have self portraits, okay?! Photographers hardly have photographs of themselves… That’s a fact that I have to face… haha

And another portrait of this person, who just woke up from his sleep…

 DSC_6225_017

True enough, the lens is indeed good. As what Dr. Gideon said, old lens are GOLD lens! They’re THAT good!

The lens nowadays are made more of plastics and the older ones are really made of metal. The current 18-105mm 3.5-4.5 lens I’m using is made in Thailand. This is where it got worse. The new Nikon 35mm 1.8 is made in CHINA. What is going on? I wonder whether the quality would be good? hmm… Thank god most of the professional lenses are still made in Japan…

Anyway, the MB exam went very well, and I’m pretty happy with what I’ve wrote in the answer booklet. I’d better take a nap and continue with my Genetics. Till then.

2 Responses to “50mm Portraits”

bettapugnax said...

The traditional 50mm standard lens for 35mm film becomes a telephoto (of about 75mm) when converted into digital format. The 50mm is usually used for standard daily shooting. If you need a telephoto in your camera bag, then get something that extends to 105mm or 135mm. Or get a zoom of 28-200mm (that's for 35mm film. I can't recall the conversion ratio for digital format).

bettapugnax said...

Don't you lose certain functions when you use your dad's 50mm on your digital camera? Plus the field of view will also be different?