Monday, April 6, 2009

Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Lens

My dad brought me one of his old lens for me and I tried it out with my camera… What my dad said was true enough… The lens is fantastic man!

The amount of detail is astounding. Photos sharp and crystal clear, and the best of all smooth depth of field.

Well, the bad thing is that it happens to not have autofocus. So I ended up spending most of my time attempting to shoot more than a few photos just to get the sharpest point on my target.

Here are some few samples… (You need to enlarge it in order to see the quality. The actual photo looks even more sharper than this…)

DSC_5306_002

By the way, see the crazy time table for the last 2 weeks? I didn’t fill in all the way to week 14… I would have fainted by the time I reach week 14.

DSC_5325_004

This photo of my lens looked even more shaper… I could even spot specks of dusts on the zoom rings…

I guess, I’ll have to spend some time getting used to focus on targets… perhaps I should start by getting a camera stand?

4 Responses to “Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Lens”

bettapugnax said...

u should try out ur dad's old lenses. old is gold, man! did u realise that the 50mm f1.4 has weight? u should also try the 55mm f2.8 micro-nikkor.

Mike Cheong said...

yea... they are really good! what do you mean by "50mm f1.4 has weight"? I don't think he has a 55mm f2.8 micro-nikkor... He has got some other lenses but he could find them as they're misplaced when we move some of the stuffs around the house. Anyway, I'm having a great time using the 50mm lens... take a look at some other posts of mine...

http://psytiphic.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-weekend-in-kedah.html

The plants around my garden was taken with the 50mm lens... They're fantastic.

bettapugnax said...

did u compare the 50mm of today (the AF and also digital ones) and the 50mm of yesteryears (ur dad must be using the F2)...the old ones have lots of metal in them.

Mike Cheong said...

Very true, very true... older lens has more metal in them as compared to current lenses.

My dad did not tell me which camera I should pick for DSLR but I ended up picking Nikon because of its solid built. I've tried Canon but I dislike it because the feel of holding the camera is so-not-right and plastic-ky... Even the shutter sound seems a bit 'cheap'... haha

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm happy with Nikon and I'll stick to that... This coming sem break I'm gonna have to search high and low for the other lenses my dad has...

Anyway, thanks for dropping by my blog. You may comment on the photographs if you want to. I may use some tips and guides... Thanks.