Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Macro? Super Macro?

I miss macro photography very much and my dad told me that I can make my normal lens to macro lens. I didn’t had much time to try it out until recently.

There are two simple ways to convert your lens to macro lens.

If you’re using a newer lens, you need to use ‘extension tubes’ to extend the gap between the lens and image sensor.

Another method is for older lenses. Pretty simple actually, just invert the lens. When my dad told me this, I was a bit confused… as in, ‘how to invert the lens?’. You need a lens reversing ring.

Since I don’t have a reversing ring, I used manual mode – hold the lens. Here are some macro photographs to share…

The tomato with 50mm…

DSC_6364_032

Inverted lens = macro…

DSC_6362_031

DSC_6358_027

So I guess I’ll be shooting some macros soon! Yippy!!!

5 Responses to “Macro? Super Macro?”

bettapugnax said...

You can also use the following (if they are still being manufactured):
1) Macro converter - functions extension tubes except that it can also be used as a 2X converter, i.e., it turns your 50mm lens into a 100mm lens.
2) Closeup lenses - attached to the front of your lens like filters. You can buy a series of +1, +2 and +3.
Or, best of all in terms of image quality (but also a more expensive option), get a real macro lens. Once upon a time, Tamron made a 90mm macro lens that was so sharp that it was much preferred over camera-makers macro lenses.

Mike Cheong said...

Yea... macro converter can be used too... But seriously? The Tamron 90mm macro lens is better than camera-makers' macro lenses? By the way, if you care to explain, how is 60mm, 90mm and 105 mm macro different? In terms of what? Thanks for viewing my blog too!

bettapugnax said...

If you use the inversion method, you can't really focus becos you have to hold the lens to the camera body. Anyway, the inverted lens works like a big magnifying glass. There used to be an inversion ring with camera mount but I think no one produces it anymore.

bettapugnax said...

Difference between 60, 90 and 105mm macro? Depends on whether you want to simultaneously use the lens as a telephoto lens (for 90 and 105mm). So if you have a 105mm macro, then you don't need to include a 105mm telephoto in your bag. For example, I use the older 55mm micro nikkor as my std lens instead of the usual 50mm lens.

bettapugnax said...

The old manual Tamron 90mm macro was so sharp that Tamron had to tone it down when they released the newer version. Perhaps it's urban legend but I recall photographers complaining in camera mags that the images were still very sharp at the widest aperture.